OUR
ORIGINS

From the Cavalleris to the Cavaliers

Our family has been settled in Vacquières since the 16th century, where we are still living. After having followed the farming and wine history of the Languedoc, 1984 was a milestone for the domain. Jean-Benoît took over management of  his family’s estate, as the 14th generation in a long line of winemakers from his family. He modernized the grape varieties, promoted new terroirs, increased the density of plantation and built a new cellar, in order to further improve the precision of our wines. Today, The 15th generation has joined the 14th to perpetuate the family tradition, in harmony with the rich natural environment that surrounds us.

1530-1595

Gaucent Cavalier (1530-1595) is the oldest trace that we have from the family. At that time, the mixed farming system was predominant, closely associating agriculture (cereals, olive tree, vines), breeding (sheep) and craft (weavers). The land register already mentionned viticulture, which, back then, aimed at provide the wine for family consumption.

1850

The modern history of the Languedoc wine region started in 1850. Joseph Henri (1833 – 1904) decided to develop viticulture. However, the rise was quickly stopped by an oïdium epidemic at the beginning of the 1850s and then, by the phylloxera crisis between 1874 and 1878. All the vines were then replanted.

1984

Jean-Benoît took over management of his family’s estate, as the 14th generation in a long line of winemakers from his family. He modernized the grape varieties, promoted new terroirs, increased the density of plantation and built a new cellar, in order to obtain wines of great personnality, complex, full of finesse and elegance, under the « Pic Saint-Loup » appellation. An evolution followed by the organic certification in 2009 and the biodynamic certification in 2018.

2013

The construction of the new cellar allowed us to extend and to further improve the precision of our wines, for example by vinifying by plot. Thus, Château de Lascaux has two cellars, combining ancient building and modern architecture.

Today

The 15th generation has joined the 14th. The domain is now composed of 85ha of vines, all located in a ray of 10 kilometers around the winery. We are committed to perpetuate a family history, in harmony with the rich natural environment that surrounds us.

ContactUs

Send message